Feb 152013

Published: 10:18PM Friday February 15, 2013 Source: ONE Sport

The Black Caps’ charge for a rare Twenty20 series win against England came to a grinding halt tonight as they were thrashed by 10-wickets in Wellington tonight.

Hoping to continue the momentum following their impressive win in Hamilton three days ago, New Zealand were sent into bat on a ground that has traditionally favoured the chasing team.

That didn’t change on this occasion as the Black Caps could only manage 139/8 from their 20 overs as they made a slow start before regular wickets prevented any meaningful partnerships from being created.

After taking some punishment in Hamilton, English captain Stuart Broad bounced back with 3/15 from his four overs, while Steven Finn was also economical with 0/18 from his four.

Martin Guptill was the only New Zealand batsman to offer any meaningful resistance as he made a relatively tame 59 from 55 deliveries as he struggled to get going with wickets tumbling at the other end.

Captain Brendon McCullum offered some support to Guptill early, before he was caught for 26, trying to slog sweep over midwicket. Then ex-captain Ross Taylor continued his wretched return to international cricket as he hit one big six over his favoured spot, before being caught in the deep attempting the same shot a ball later.

The rest of New Zealand’s middle order failed to contribute and Guptill’s dismissal in the penultimate over prevented them from getting the big finish required.

English openers Michael Lumb and Alex Hales began the innings like they had somewhere to be in a hurry, taking 11 off Trent Boult’s first over.

Mitchell McClenaghan then gave some hope with just one run coming off his second over, but it wasn’t long before the English batsmen were back to their punishing best.

Ian Butler, who had been so impressive in the Hamilton win, was forced to pay the price for mouthing off to Hales, as he went for 23 off his second over. McClenaghan also took punishment as he failed to hit his lengths and went for 23 in the 11th over of the innings.

New Zealand’s bowlers didn’t get any favours from their fielders either as catches went down as they had in the first game in Auckland. First Taylor missed a sharp chance above his head, before a mix up in communication saw McCullum miss what could have been a regulation catch for Grant Elliott.

Hales finished unbeaten on 80 from 50 balls, while Lumb hit a six onto the roof of Westpac Stadium to bring up 53 and finish the match in the 13th over.

The three match one-day series begins in Hamilton on Sunday.

Copyright © 2013, Television New Zealand Limited. Breaking and Daily News, Sport & Weather | TV ONE, TV2 | Ondemand

Click for detailed story

 Leave a Reply




Featuring YD Feedwordpress Content Filter Plugin