News paper in Sri Lanka : 17-03-2017. Posted on March 17th, 2017 | Category: News,Sri Lanka | Post by: mahaaraaja …
On Monday (December 26), it will have a chance to build on its recent gains as it takes on Sri Lanka in the first of three Tests in the Boxing Day contest …
Sri Lanka Higher education sphere to benefit hosts the World Conference on Youth 2014 (WCY) in May University Grants Commission Chairperson …
Sri Lanka Campus/University Admission Hand Book Application Form 2013/2014 Academic year Issue Next Week UGC …
The military intelligence of occupying Colombo is keeping the family members of alleged suspects as hostages in detention camps irrespective of their age, gender and irrespective of any connection to those the military claims as suspects involved in the revival of the armed struggle, Colombo-based lawyers representing the victims said in a note sent to human rights defenders. The lawyers described the trend as alarming. Not only the freedom of movement, but also the freedom of having visitors in their residences is seriously affected in Mullaiththeevu and Ki’linochchi districts in particular, the lawyers said.
Detailing the condition of those detained, the note also said that there is a heavy presence of military and intelligence units in Mullaiththeevu and Ki’linochchi districts.
“When there are visitors to a house, the head of the household has to report to the Grama Seveka and the A.G.A and take the visitors to such officials for registration. This situation is worse than that prevailed during war time and this has caused immense fear in the people and has virtually frozen HRDs and the civil society organizations,” the note further said.
The soldiers often enter the residences of people under the pretext of obtaining information. The lawyers say that this practice has almost become a routine operation, harassing civilians in the two districts.
“The ordinary life is seriously affected with frequent cordon and search operations, checkpoints and arrests without reasonable suspicion.”
“Men and women who underwent rehabilitation are again directed to report to Army camps and police stations,” the lawyers said in the note.
More than 65 people were ‘arrested’ in abduction style by the Sri Lankan military intelligence operatives who claim their identity as ‘Terrorist Investigation Division’ (TID) officers from the SL Police Department, news sources in Ki’linochchi told TamilNet.
Only a few of them, around 8 people including a woman, have been released from the custody so far. All the eight released were from Jaffna and ‘arrested’ in Colombo.
The TID runs various interrogation offices at various locations in addition to having an embedded presence at the police stations across the North and East.
Otago offspinner Mark Craig has received a shock callup to the New Zealand test squad to tour West Indies after Jeetan Patel was a late withdrawal last night.
Craig and Wellington gloveman Luke Ronchi are the two uncapped test players named in the 15-man squad for three tests in the Caribbean in June.
Patel, currently playing for English county Warwickshire, was originally picked for his first international in 16 months but made himself unavailable for personal reasons.
He told selector Bruce Edgar he wanted to commit to a full season at Warwickshire, for whom he was player of the year in 2013, and also be close to his wife and baby daughter who are with him in the UK. Daniel Vettori (back) remains unavailable as his recent bowling loads are not up to the intensity of test cricket.
Auckland-born Craig, 27, took 22 wickets at an average of 39.72 in the Plunket Shield. He was the best-performed offspinner and the selectors wanted someone who turns the ball away from the West Indies’ left-handers.
With Ish Sodhi already there, this would have counted against Canterbury legspinner Todd Astle who was the best spinner in the Plunket Shield with 37 wickets at 30.48.
Coach Mike Hesson said Craig provided a nice balance with legspinner Sodhi, with pitches at Kingston, Port-of-Spain and Georgetown expected to turn and favour the home spinners.
”Mark has had a strong Plunket Shield taking 22 wickets and his right-arm off-spinners will be valuable against their left-handed heavy top order batting line-up. He’s been in our sights for some time and was also chosen for our winter training squad.”
Openers Peter Fulton and Hamish Rutherford retained their positions and appear to be in a three-way scrap with Tom Latham for two spots at the top of the order.
Ronchi was named as backup gloveman with Latham included purely as a specialist batsman.
”Luke also provides us with middle order batting cover as he’s a good player of spin bowling,” Hesson said.
Jesse Ryder and Doug Bracewell were not considered as they are yet to satisfy the selectors that they have their off-field issues under control.
Meanwhile, test gloveman BJ Watling will captain a New Zealand A side for first-class and one-day matches in England in August. Hesson said the matches would be a good opportunity to look more closely at a number of other players in the build-up to Cricket World Cup 2015.
NEW ZEALAND TEST SQUAD FOR WEST INDIES:
Brendon McCullum (c) – Otago Volts
Corey Anderson – Northern Knights
Trent Boult – Northern Knights
Mark Craig – Otago Volts
Peter Fulton – Canterbury Wizards
Tom Latham – Canterbury Wizards
James Neesham – Otago Volts
Luke Ronchi – Wellington Firebirds
Hamish Rutherford – Otago Volts
Ish Sodhi – Northern Knights
Tim Southee – Northern Knights
Ross Taylor – Central Stags
Neil Wagner – Otago Volts
BJ Watling – Northern Knights
Kane Williamson – Northern Knights
NEW ZEALAND A SQUAD FOR TOUR TO ENGLAND:
BJ Watling (c) – Northern Knights
Hamish Bennett – Canterbury Wizards
Dean Brownlie – Canterbury Wizards
Colin de Grandhomme – Auckland Aces
Anton Devcich – Northern Knights (returns after one-day matches)
Grant Elliott – Wellington Firebirds
Matt Henry – Canterbury Wizards
Scott Kuggeleijn – Northern Knights
Tom Latham – Canterbury Wizards
Adam Milne – Central Stags
Daryl Mitchell – Northern Knights
Colin Munro – Auckland Aces (returns after one-day matches)
Hamish Rutherford – Otago Volts
Ish Sodhi – Northern Knights (returns after one-day matches)
Added to the NZA squad for the two three-day matches:
Todd Astle – Canterbury Wizards
Michael Bracewell – Otago Volts
Mark Craig – Otago Volts
– © Fairfax NZ News
FOUR WORLD CUPS: Chris Harris’s shirt collection dates from 1992, which he is wearing, to from left: 1996, 1999 and 2003.
When Chris Harris sees his old, now-iconic 1992 Cricket World Cup shirt, he relives the tournament with a minute-long video is his mind.
It starts great with the side’s 37-run upset win in the tournament opener against Australia.
It carries on building its excitement levels with further wins, each one raising the drama.
Victories against Sri Lanka, South Africa and Zimbabwe flick by.Wins over the West Indies, India then England bring back the feeling of sitting on top of the nine-team table before a quick dart over a round-robin loss to Pakistan.
That’s quickly glossed over in ”Harry’s” mind-movie because it’s the next game against Pakistan which takes his focus, like a James Bond film villain.
”That game” as he calls the semifinal loss to a star-studded Pakistan side which would go on and win the tournament.
”Then you get to that game, and it’s a bit of a sad ending to the movie.”
All that from a shirt.
It was Harris’ first of four World Cups and is easily the one he’s asked most often about.
”I think there’s a resurgence of those shirts too,” he said.
”I’ve started seeing them all over the place and not just here, I was in Germany recently and saw one.”
Harris played 250 one-day games for New Zealand and jokes he wore every type of shirt made ”except the beige”, from terrible teal through a range of bizarre blues to the black they wear today.
The grey 1992 number with the multi-coloured shoulder stripes to represent the nine competing countries, instantly takes Harris, now 44, back 22 years to the first World Cup played in coloured clothing.
”I remember the whole atmosphere, of the opening match and the entire tournament, up until our last day,” he said.
”What few people remember is we’d just been beaten 3-0 by England in the buildup. We hadn’t had much success before the tournament and no-one had any reason to think that was going to change.
”Then we beat Australia in the first match and went on that run. And the whole country got in behind us, it was pretty special.”
Harris remembers the opening match with alarming accuracy.
The scores players made, who caught who, and the run-outs, though one of them was easy as it was his and cemented New Zealand’s opening match victory.
He ran David Boon out for 100 with a direct hit from the outfield.
”I remember throwing the ball and while it was still miles away, Gavin Larsen pulled his hands out of the way. I was like, ‘what are you doing, we can run him out here and win the game’. And then it hit. The crowd just went silent for what felt like a couple of seconds then just erupted.
”I don’t think they were celebrating the runout, more the fact we were going to win the game, that’s what people were reacting to.”
Harris is wrong; they were reacting to his side on, direct hit run out. It was spectacular. New Zealand went on to win the seven matches in a row before being bundled out by Pakistan in ”that game”, an Eden Park semifinal.
”In the form we were in, we probably should have gone on to win that tournament,” he said.
Harris made the quarterfinals in 1996 when, despite him scoring a career high 130, New Zealand were unable to tip over Australia.
He was part of the 1999 campaign in England knocked out in the semifinals, again by Pakistan and went to the 2003 tournament in South Africa where New Zealand would have made the semifinals, but for refusing to play in Kenya.
”They’re all a bit special to me to be honest. A World Cup is a really special thing to be a part of. But it’s hard to go past the 1992 experience, that’s for sure.”
– © Fairfax NZ News
Wellington offspinner Jeetan Patel sensationally withdrew from the New Zealand test squad to tour West Indies last night as he was poised to end a 16-month absence from international cricket.
Patel was contacted by national selector Bruce Edgar in England, where he is beginning another county stint with Warwickshire, to tell him the good news he’d been picked in the 15-man squad for three tests in June. But Patel made himself unavailable, saying he wanted to focus on a full season with Warwickshire, for whom he was player of the year in 2013, and be with his wife and baby daughter who are based with him in the UK.
He stressed he hadn’t retired from international cricket.
It left Edgar and coach Mike Hesson a tough decision to pick a second spinner to partner Ish Sodhi in what is expected to be spin-friendly conditions in the Caribbean in June. Canterbury legspinner Todd Astle appeared next cab off the rank but nothing had been finalised last night.
Other likely features of the squad to be named in Christchurch today include a reprieve for openers Peter Fulton and Hamish Rutherford who are expected to be pitted in a three-way scrap with Tom Latham, and a possible callup for Wellington gloveman Luke Ronchi as backup wicketkeeper/batsman.
Spin was a strong focus for the selectors, with a mandatory two specialist spinners and batsmen best equipped to counter the dual threat of mystery offspinners Sunil Narine and Shane Shillingford.
Patel’s 19-test career (52 wickets at an average of 48) looked to be floundering after his last series in South Africa in January 2013. But the 33-year-old’s county form for Warwickshire on turning pitches was compelling (51 wickets at 23 in 2012, 52 wickets at 30 last year), and he was excellent in recent weeks for Wellington’s title-winning one-day side before returning to England.
A potential West Indies batting lineup featuring four left-handers – Chris Gayle, Darren Bravo, Kieran Powell and Shivnarine Chanderpaul – appeared to help Patel’s cause and count against Astle. He was second on the Plunket Shield charts with 37 wickets at 30, and offers more with the bat, but two legspinners is a risk. Left-armer Bruce Martin is contracted to NZC but hasn’t bounced back from being dropped in Bangladesh last October, and no other spinners demanded selection.
Plunket Shield run machine Latham appears a certainty for one opening slot in the first test at Kingston on June 8, with Rutherford and Fulton contesting the other berth in two warmup games in Kingston. Both can count themselves fortunate after lean home summers, with Rutherford probably having his nose in front.
Ronchi, who is uncapped at test level, provides genuine wicketkeeping backup to BJ Watling and middle order batting cover.
Hesson said last week promising paceman Matt Henry (side strain) wouldn’t be considered, and it seems there aren’t enough spots to fit in a final paceman, with Mark Gillespie and Hamish Bennett both on the cusp.
Allrounders Corey Anderson and Jimmy Neesham give Hesson options and if they play two spinners, it seems likely that Tim Southee and Trent Boult will be the two quicks with Neil Wagner missing the 11.
Spin has dominated in the West Indies’ first-class competition in recent weeks.
Hesson will also name a New Zealand A squad today for first-class and one-day matches in England.
Likely test squad: Brendon McCullum (c), Tom Latham, Peter Fulton, Hamish Rutherford, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Corey Anderson, BJ Watling, Luke Ronchi, Jimmy Neesham, Tim Southee, Ish Sodhi, Todd Astle, Neil Wagner, Trent Boult.
– © Fairfax NZ News
kdu,a lejqï Whk yeá
kdu,a lejqï Whk yeáisxy, yskaÿ w¨;a wjqreoao fjkqfjka uq¿ rgu ,ys ,ysfha iQodkï jk fudfydf;a” rg mqrd ksfjiaj, f;,a ,sm ;nd lejqï” fldlsia wd§ rileú,s msisoa§ md¾,sfïka;= uka;%S kdu,a rdcmlaI uy;d yïnkaf;dg ùrleáh m%foaYfha § lejqï Whk wdldrh mqyqKq jQ whqre ßúr leurdjg yiqjQfha fufiahs’